The Benefits of River Transport
Economic & Environmental Impact of Waterway Travel
While it might not be obvious, waterway transportation is the most efficient mode of transportation for moving goods. By being able to haul at a greater capacity, water transportation is an economically and environmentally sound choice.
The EPA estimates that one third of our nation’s annual CO2 emissions come from transport-related activity. A recent study shows that transporting by truck would emit 371% more CO2 than if moved by barge. With more companies trending towards shrinking their carbon footprint, the waterway transport industry has seen a rise in economic output.
Here are some facts on the waterway industry from the American Waterways Operators:
- The tugboat, towboat and barge industry is the largest segment of the U.S. domestic maritime industry, employing more than 33,000 American mariners aboard its vessels.
- The nation’s domestic maritime industry is an economic engine and a jobs creator which supports 500,000 jobs and provides $100 billion in economic output.
- Moving goods on the water is the most efficient transportation mode. A typical inland barge has a capacity 15 times greater than one rail car and 60 times greater than one semi-trailer truck, and one 15 barge-tow can move the equivalent of 216 rail cars or 1,050 semi-trailer trucks.
- Water transportation plays a critical role in facilitating the nation’s trade, moving 60 percent of U.S. grain for export.
- The single largest commodity that moves on U.S. waterways is petroleum – 244 million tons annually.
- Twenty percent of the nation’s coal is moved on the water.
Safety and the AWO
In addition to the economical impact, America’s Inland Waterways are also the safest for transportation of goods. As members of the American Waterways Operators, we value the safety of our crews and vessels.
The AWO works closely with the U.S. Coast Guard, as well as other government agencies, to regulate the industry and promote safety and environmental conservation.
A Safety Statistic Comparison Study from 2001-2009 showed 1 fatality in the marine sector for every 18.1 in the rail sector and 132 in the highway sector.
Why you should choose Western Rivers Boat Management:
Our mission is to transport your goods while maintaining our reputation for unprecedented service and productivity for a competitive price. We promise to provide you with safe, efficient, and environmentally responsible transportation.
Our business is family owned and operated, and when you partner with Western Rivers, you will be treated like family.
For more information, give us a call at 270-444-4772!